I thought getting noticed in the App Store was hard but Android Market is worse.

Being featured in iTunes helped make my app popular.  Initially uploading to the App Store, I got 300+ downloads the first few days.  But uploading to Android Market resulted in less than 30 downloads and seems painful to get the word out.

I released my app/game A Fuzzy Memory (FREE) in mid December 2011 and it got put in featured New app in Canada.  It slowly climbed the chart to be featured #1 and #2 in iTunes for Canada and the US under New medical app.

Now it's reached #3 in Canada for What's Hot and I hope it stays up there for a while!  I have an ad ready for Admob to be displayed but I'll wait a day or so to see if my downloads start to trail off as I want to see if Admob helps with the number of downloads vs just being listed in What's Hot.

I have had no ads placed, I'm pretty sure Forum discussions had little to do with the current number of downloads (from past experience) so I think the reason why the game is popular is due to being listed in iTunes.

What did result in a huge spike was the release of a game update to v1.03.  That resulted in a 400% increase in NEW downloads in addition to the downloads of the update.

My other logical conclusion is being in OpenFeint and Game Center is spreading popularity through that network; I could only guess at this point without confirmation or some sort of insight.  At this point, I want to stop spending time putting updates in forums as I feel I that is not helpful as spending time on making the game updates.  The same cannot be said for Android since OpenFeint is also enabled on it.

I can see from my Android downloads that forum posting is pretty useless unless my game is visually impressive which it is currently lacking.  My conclusion so far is that I'm not getting ANY exposure for uploading my app to Android Market.  It's so sad because I thought iTunes was no good, Android Market is just pure disappointing when it comes to downloads.

Comments

Popular Posts