Trying to make an iPhone game on my own has been quite a challenge.

It's been a while since I last wrote anything as I've been so busy working on a new game and also resting after having spent almost 4 months learning and working on Smart Target for iPhone AND the iPad. 

I think my first attempt at a game was really just for myself.  It was to prove that I could do it and that with a sensible drive and motivation I could succeed.  I consider my first attempt to be a flop financially since I spent so much time on it and it's only made a few dollars in return, but I consider it a success as an experience in building the foundations to what I need in order to build a successful game.  I find it comforting to know that Rovio had made 51 other games before becoming successful with the gold standard in success, Angry Birds, after reading the article on Wired.

I don't base my success on the results of my work, but on the faith that I'm on the right path if I continue listening to my heart and persevering through the challenges put before me.

With all this being said, I actually want to re-iterate some advice about what will most likely lead to success.  First off, ensure that your game is enjoyable and not annoying to play after 5 minutes (that's my own peev).  Second is to allow for a community to be built and to ensure your game has viral social components built into it whether it be integrating Game Center or Open Feint, or enabling a Twitter or Email component to help spread the news.  I've encorporate all these into my new game, A Fuzzy Memory, for both iPhone and iPad which I hope to submit and to release this week.

If anyone out there in the sea of the world wide web hears this and wants to know more, just comment here or email me and I'll be glad to tell you more about it.

Comments

Popular Posts